In 1955, Annandale School was built for grades 1-8. In 1968, it was renamed Topsail Elementary School and served grades 1-5. In 1979, the school's name changed to Topsail Primary School and served Kindergarten through second grade. In 1992, a new structure containing classroom wings, a multi-purpose area, an office suite, and a cafeteria were built and now house grades Kindergarten through fifth grade.
In January of 1998, as a result of rapid growth in the Hampstead area, the school was split into 2 schools and North Topsail Elementary opened its new site . The South Topsail school remained in the existing building through the end of the school year. During the summer of 1998, a brand new facility was completed for South Topsail Elementary, on Hoover Road, just in time for the first day of classes in August while Topsail Middle School moved into the old elementary school building. Now, in a brand new building, South Topsail Elementary still retained the faculty and staff that helped earn recognition as a North Carolina School of Distinction in 1998.